The Grotto, Abercromby Place, Edinburgh

Painted media on board, c.1967
RCAHMS: Dick Peddie and McKay Collection purchased in 1999

Designed in 1967, this fashionable interior for ‘The Grotto’, looks very similar to today’s bars and clubs. Two perspectives show the lounge bar and the section for dining and dancing, both evoking the atmosphere of this stylish place for socializing.

The drawing is from the collection of the architectural firm Dick Peddie and McKay who had a long and distinguished history dating to 1845 when it was established by John Dick Peddie. It was to earn a reputation as one of Scotland’s leading architectural practices of the mid to late nineteenth century.