Titan Crane, Glasgow

Colour photograph, 2003
Survey by RCAHMS

The Titan Crane is an A-listed structure standing more than 45.6m (150 feet) above the former John Brown and Co shipyard in Clydebank. It was one of five Titan cranes designed by Sir William Arrol and Co for the Clydeside shipyards, constructed at their Dalmarnock Works in Glasgow in 1907 at a cost of £24,600. The 150-ton cantilever crane stood on the west side of the fitting-out basin and is the oldest of its type in the world.

Its work included lifting ship boilers and it was first used in the construction of the ‘Lusitania’ liner. In 1938, its capacity was upgraded to 200 tons, to serve the larger ships being built by that time.

The crane fell in to disuse in 1967, but re-opened as an unusual tourist attraction in 2007 following a £3 million transformation by local redevelopment agency Clydebank-Rebuilt. It now features a computer-driven lighting scheme and, using a new lift, the public can access an interpretative exhibition in the wheelhouse and a large viewing gallery.