Tarbatness Lighthouse, Highland

Colour photograph, 2002
Survey by RCAHMS

Tarbatness Lighthouse was built in 1830 and designed by Robert Stevenson, one of the famous Stevenson family of engineers.  The Stevenson family had a long and honorable connection with the Northern Lighthouse Board, designing most of the major lighthouses in Scotland.

The building was built by James Smith of Inverness and stands 130 feet (45 metres) high and with the lighthouse on Lismore cost £19,656. The two red bands were added in 1915.

The lighthouse has experienced several earthquake shocks over the years but still stands.  The light was automated and a helipad was added in the 1960s.  The keeper’s accommodation has now been sold into private ownership.