Head Office and Showrooms for the South of Scotland Electricity Board, Edinburgh

Watercolour on board, 1961
Esme Gordon (1910-1993)
RCAHMS: RIAS Collection

This presentation drawing by Esme Gordon shows the prestigious new offices created to impress the SSEB customers with their modernity. The sculptures on the finished building were created by Tom Whalen, inspired by the concept of electricity.

The Gordon and Dey practice was set up in 1936 by Alexander Esme Gordon and William Dey in Edinburgh.  Their early work on the Travel and Transport Pavilion at the Empire Exhibition in Glasgow 1938 established their reputation.