Dean Bridge, Edinburgh

Ink and watercolour on paper, c.1829
Thomas Telford (1757-1834)
RCAHMS:  Resource and Information Centre, City of Edinburgh Council Collection

This graceful, four-span, dressed-stone road bridge was one of the last to be built by the great engineer Thomas Telford. Built in the period 1829-31, it was a project that enabled the extension of Edinburgh New Town across the Water of Leith.

Dean Bridge has been the main north-west route out of Edinburgh since it was built. It carries in the region of two million vehicles each year.