Taymouth Castle, Perthshire

Colour photograph, 1997
Survey by RCAHMS

Taymouth Castle stands on the former site of the sixteenth century Balloch Castle, demolished in the early 1800s and rebuilt on a grander scale by the Campbells of Breadalbane in time for Queen Victoria's visit in 1842. The sumptuous interiors were decorated with carving, plasterwork and murals. Historic furnishings, such as medieval stained glass and Renaissance woodwork, enhanced the Gothic scheme.

This view shows the main staircase hall, which soars 100 feet through all four storeys of the Castle’s central tower. It is the creation of the renowned plasterwork designer, Francis Bernasconi.

The house was eventually sold and underwent a succession of uses, including a hotel, with the deer park transformed into a golf course, World War Two convalescent home, and the headquarters for Civil Defence Training in Scotland. Currently, there are plans to restore the building and convert it once again into a luxury hotel.