Rose Garden, Hill of Tarvit, Fife

Colour photograph, 1996
Survey by RCAHMS

Hill of Tarvit was the property of Frederick Bower Sharp, a member of a wealthy family of jute mill owners from Dundee. Sharp purchased the estate in Fife in 1904 and then commissioned the architect Sir Robert Lorimer to convert its existing property into a family home.

Sharp wanted Lorimer to create a treasure house, somewhere to display his collections of paintings, tapestries, furniture and porcelain. The original mansion, Wemyss Hall, was demolished, apart from two service wings and Hill of Tarvit rose in its place.  It was thoroughly modern with electricity and central heating.

This photograph shows the rose garden, with the entrance loggia of the house at the left. The property is surrounded by 279 acres of woods and parkland. Its gardens range from formal designs, such as the rose garden, to a kitchen garden and orchard.

RCAHMS surveyed Hill of Tarvit as part of a programme to upgrade the photographic collections for significant buildings in Scotland.