Dumfries House, East Ayrshire

Colour photograph, 2007
Survey by RCAHMS

Dumfries House presents a complete example of the early work of the famous Scottish architects, John and Robert Adam. Built between 1754-60 for the 5th Earl of Dumfries, it forms a perfectly symmetrical, Palladian structure. The plain façade hides an ornate interior and reveals Robert Adam’s gift for designing decorative features, containing exquisitely modelled ceilings, friezes, chimneys, doorways and picture frames.

This view reveals the vaulted hall in the west wing of Dumfries House, leading from the White Drawing Room to the cedar wood lined Gallery, created to house a set of Gobelins tapestries. The architect Robert Weir Schultz designed this extension to the house c.1895 for the Third Marquess of Bute.

At a time when there were concerns about the future of the house, RCAHMS undertook a detailed survey of the estate. However, it was purchased by a consortium led by HRH The Prince of Wales in November 2007 and it is now under the control of the Great Steward’s of Scotland’s Dumfries House Trust. It is now open to the public.