Crichton Memorial Church, Dumfries and Galloway

Pencil and watercolour on paper, c.1897
RCAHMS: Sydney Mitchell and Wilson Collection presented in 1995

Elizabeth and James Crichton retired to Dumfriesshire after making their fortune in India and in the 1830s they endowed the Crichton Royal Hospital which would later develop a world-wide reputation in mental health care.

In their role as architect to the Board of Lunacy in Scotland, Sydney Mitchell and Wilson worked on many of the great asylums of the era including the Crichton Royal Hospital. In 1897 this church was designed and built by them as a memorial to the hospital’s founders.

The imposing red sandstone church was produced in an early Gothic design, and this detail drawing for the light fittings is an example of the care and consideration given to every aspect of the building.