Cragburn Pavilion, Gourock, Inverclyde

Watercolour on paper, 1935
J A Carrick (1911-1989)
RCAHMS: RIAS (McKean) J and J A Carrick Collection

1930s Britain was a boom time for the leisure industry, and pavilions, ice rinks, cinemas and bars were being built across the country to accommodate the rapidly growing trade.

Designed by J and J A Carrick, Cragburn opened in 1938. The modern, Art Deco pavilion offered everything the discerning tourist expected. It had function suites, tearooms, a restaurant and a dance hall. From the 1930s-60s it was a well-known big band venue and many of Britain’s famous bands played there including the Oscar Rabin Band, one of the most successful Jazz dance bands of the 1950s. In the 1960s the building was modernised by the practice J A Houston and Son and drawings for this are also held at RCAHMS.

Cragburn Pavilion eventually closed in the 1990s and was demolished to make way for a block of flats.