Coroghan Castle, Canna, Highland

Black and white photograph, c.1900
RCAHMS

Few could fail to be impressed by the ruins of Coroghon Castle, standing proud on top of a coastal stack at the south-east end of the island of Canna.  The castle is traditionally thought to have been a prison, used in the late seventeenth century by a jealous husband to confine his wife, and is most commonly associated with Donald MacDonald of Clanranald and his wife Marion MacLeod. Jutting out into the sea, the stack is accessible only by a steep path which ascends a narrow neck of land connecting it to the mainland. This impregnable position, however, did little to deter at least one gentleman in this visiting party.