Canopy lighting, possibly for Regal Cinema, Broxburn, West Lothian

Painted media on paper, c.1936
RCAHMS: Haxton and Watson Collection presented in 1985

In the 1930s neon lighting on a brand new cinema added a touch of Hollywood glamour and pizzazz to small towns across Scotland.  The lighting specialists Claudegen created this dramatic chalk drawing on black paper.  It was to show architects Haxton and Watson and their client Regal Cinemas what the colour scheme might look like on a cold, dark night. 

The 1930s were a busy time for the ever-growing movie industry and the Leven-based practice Haxton and Watson were contracted to build several Art Deco or ‘moderne’ style cinemas across Fife and West Lothian.  They designed Regal Cinemas for Bathgate, West Calder, Armadale and Broxburn. 

By the 1960s television reigned supreme and cinema attendance slumped.  Broxburn’s Regal, like many cinemas, was converted into a bingo hall.  RCAHMS undertook a detailed photographic survey of the building before it was demolished in 2000.